Saturday, June 18, 2011

Meknes, Volubilis, and kicking Bill Gates' ass

Update: Pictures by Alex Z.

So last night my host family sister mention that her computer was broken, and asked if I might be able to fix it. I told her I couldn't promise anything, as it is a PC and I'm a Mac person. (This, by the way, is not a concept that translates well.) So I sat down to work on the computer and realized the whole thing was in French. I spent the first few minutes trying to change the language to English. That didn't work. I eventually grabbed my laptop and opened instructions in English so that I could sort of guess my way through the process. After trying literally everything I could think of, I was just about to give up, when I uninstalled and reinstalled the software for the USB modem for the third time and it decided to work. My host family cheered, hugged me, and tried to feed me even more (it was midnight.) I declared victory over France (to be fair, they surrendered) and Bill Gates.

This morning we went to Volubilis, an old bunch of Roman ruins, and then on to Meknes, for lunch and a tour of the old city and a famous prison. It was fun. I'll post pictures, and more detail, when I'm less sunburned and tired. For now I'm going to study (we have our first test Monday) and hit refresh on the Financial Aid page until Monday morning. If any UW summer students are reading this and are still in Seattle- have you heard anything from Financial Aid? Has any one figured out why it still isn't posted?

Ok. More to come. Bye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment